Chalky teeth, medically termed “enamel hypoplasia,” is a dental condition that kids can develop when their baby teeth and/or permanent (adult) teeth are growing in. This condition causes the tooth enamel that protects the inner layer of dentin (containing the tooth’s nerve) to become very thin. Often times chalky teeth may interfere with a child’s quality of life as symptoms such as painful tooth decay, trouble eating, and discolored teeth are common. In most cases, chalky teeth can be treated but it is extremely important that your child visits the dentist more often and keeps up with their dental hygiene to prevent complications.
Symptoms of Chalky Teeth
Chalky teeth can present with a variety of different symptoms, including (but not limited to):
- Appearance of white spots on the teeth
- Sensitivity with hot and cold foods
- Dark yellow/brown stains
- Susceptibility to tooth decay (cavities)
- Pits, grooves and/or fissures on the tooth’s surface
The aforementioned symptoms may result in missed days of school due to tooth decay-related pain, and/or the need for tooth extraction. If you think your child may be suffering from chalky teeth, make a point to schedule an appointment with your pediatric dentist for treatment.
Chalky Teeth Treatment
In order to ease the symptoms of chalky teeth and help prevent tooth loss, the following treatments are utilized by pediatric dentists:
- Dental Sealants—These are used to protect the teeth from cavities and can help relieve sensitivity-related pain.
- Dental Crowns—Crowns are synthetic tooth coverings that preserve the function of the tooth while providing protection from damage and tooth decay.
- Dental Fillings—Fillings can help to keep the tooth healthy after a cavity is found and treated.
Chalky teeth put children at risk for early tooth loss and tooth decay, which is why it is important to get an early diagnosis to help preserve the function of the teeth as well as prevent further damage. Advanced Children’s Dentistry is a fun and educational pediatric dental office in Nassau County, NY where our pediatric dentist Dr. Sybil Padavathil offers a comfortable and comprehensive dental experience for kids. Schedule a pediatric dental appointment at 516-758-KIDS.