The summer season is an exciting time for kids—especially because they usually have more free time! Some of the activities that kids engage in during the summer can be a great way for them to have fun while exercising—but proper safety measures are very important to prevent a dental emergency. Furthermore, summertime can mean that kids lose their sense of structure without a set school schedule every day. In this case, they may be more likely to forget to brush their teeth twice a day and floss daily. Lack of proper dental hygiene puts kids at a higher risk for developing painful dental cavities—and if the pain gets bad enough, parents may have to schedule a pediatric dental emergency appointment. In order to prevent dental emergencies in kids during the summer, make sure to remind children to take the proper precautions before physical activity and keep up with dental hygiene routines.
Common Causes of Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies may be caused by a variety of situations and circumstances. Some of the more common causes of kid’s dental emergencies include the following:
- Sports injury that involves the mouth
- Ignoring toothache pain for too long, eventually causing severe pain that interferes with speaking and/or eating
- Improper oral hygiene causing severe and painful tooth decay, or in more serious cases, a dental infection that requires emergent care
- Roughhousing that leads to an injury or fall
- Using teeth as tools to open objects
- Chewing on hard candies, pens, pencils, etc.
Dental Emergency Prevention
Some of the best ways to prevent a dental emergency include the following:
- Always equip kids with mouthguards and other required safety gear before playing sports
- Keep up with daily tooth-brushing and flossing
- If your child complains of tooth pain, schedule a dental appointment before it gets worse
- Ask your child’s pediatric dentist about dental sealants and cavity prevention
- Supervise children brushing their teeth up to make sure they are doing a thorough job
- Use a fluoride toothpaste for best results
- Discourage using teeth as tools and playing too roughly
There are few things that are worse than seeing your child in pain, which is just one important reason to be vigilant about dental emergency prevention. In the case that you do experience a dental emergency, Advanced Children’s Dentistry in Garden City, NY is a full-service pediatric dental practice where Dr. Sybil provides a safe and calming atmosphere for both kids and parents. Schedule a pediatric dental appointment at 516-758-KIDS (5437).